Thursday, July 2, 2015

Review #45 - Something Borrowed

Release Date: May 6, 2011
Writer: Jennie Snyder Urman, Emily Griffin (novel)
Director: Luke Greenfield

Logline: Friendships are tested and secrets come to the surface when terminally single Rachel falls for Dex, her best friend Darcy's fiance. (IMDb)
Comedy, Romance. 112 minutes. 
Bechdel Test: Passes all 3 tests

Review
Is it just me or is Something Borrowed always playing on TV? I honestly can’t remember the last time I was scrolling through the channel guide and didn’t see it listed somewhere. This has resulted in it becoming a sort of fixture of background noise in my house. Cleaning out the fridge? I bet Something Borrowed is playing on W, I’ll put that on. Painting my nails? Something Borrowed is on TBS, the perfect companion. Need something to do while I eat an entire bag of Cool Ranch Doritos? I’ll switch over to the French network – an educational way to view Something Borrowed!

If you’re thinking that all of this leads up to a grand declaration of love for this movie, you thought wrong. I HATE this movie. So much. Why do I keep watching it? I have no idea. I just can’t say no – it’s like some kind of form of self torture.

The characters aren't likable and the dialogue is far from charming but the real reason I can't stand this movie is because why would anyone pick Dex (Colin Egglesfield) when they could have Ethan (John Krasinski)? This is just too big of a plot hole to ignore and it makes me rage every time I think about. Although I generally try to avoid judging a movie solely on a plot decision I don't agree with, I can't help myself with this one. On the other hand, Rachel (Ginnifer Goodwin) is boring as hell so her and Dex probably deserve each other.

If you're still upset about the ending of Pretty in Pink, skip this one.

Portrayal of Women: The women in this movie take on so many sterotypical traits that they become caricatures. Rachel is the modest, meek girl who lives to take care of everyone else. Darcy (Kate Hudson) is the bitchy life of the party who is too self absorbed to have any kind of depth. Claire (Ashley Williams) is the crazy single girl who will stop at nothing to get her man.

Unfortunately, these one dimensional women are also defined by their relationship to men. Their value goes up when they have a significant other which makes having/keeping a boyfriend the most important goal in their lives. Lifelong friendships are tossed aside, honesty is completely disregarded, and lying is considered an absolute essential - all in the name of finding love.

We are tricked into thinking this movie is about a woman finding her voice and fighting for what she wants. In reality, it's about women being horrible to each other while using manipulation and deceit to get what they want. And what is it that our 'hero' is rewarded with? The opportunity to pick up dry cleaning for her basic bitch boyfriend. What a dream come true.

Sisterhood Moment: I'll admit that the choreographed dance to Push It is everything I've ever believed in. It's magical. 

Rating: 1 dropped pencil

No comments:

Post a Comment